Medicare Publications and Guides
Health information welcome kits - containing information about Medicare, and other programs administered by the Medicare Australia.
Each month Medicare Australia includes articles in Australian Optometry providing a practical insight into optometric explanatory notes in the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS).
- April 2011 – Online Education services help you stay current
- March 2011 – Common Form of Undertaking
- January 2011 – Compliance activity update
- December – Provider numbers for new graduates
- November 2010 – Common item numbers can be confusing
- August 2010 – When is it appropriate to write an indefinite referral?
- July 2010 - How do I obtain my Medicare statistics?
- May 2010 - Checking a patient’s eligibility for a contact lens service
- April 2010 - Cataract surgery—Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item numbers explained
- March 2010 - Medicare Australia online education services—expand your knowledge online in just a few easy clicks
- February 2010 - Medicare Australia articles available online
- January 2010 - Check-list for new grads
The Department of Health and Ageing has incorporated the Relative Value Guide (RVG) for Anaesthesia into the Medicare Benefits Schedule book.
The following PDF file contains an outline of the RVG system, some recommended billing guidelines, example accounts, example Medicare benefit statement information, reason code explanations and contact details for further information. Relative Value Guide for Anaesthesia [PDF, 508Kb].
GPs are entitled to write indefinite referrals for the ongoing treatment of patients with chronic conditions. Specialists and consultant physicians are reminded to accept the validity of indefinite referrals and not to make unnecessary requests to referring practitioners for new referrals.
Download Indefinite referrals [PDF, 300Kb].
Indigenous health publications developed to assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health services.
For more information or to speak with one of Medicare Australia's Liaison Officers call the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander access line on 1800 556 955.
Allied Health and Dental Care initiative guide to Medicare claiming [PDF, 235Kb] contains information on services attracting Medicare benefits, eligibility, use of referral forms, how to bill and claim, statement of benefits and contact details.
Health professionals can download and print the following Medicare bulk bill notice to let the public know their practice bulk bills.
- A4 Medicare bulk bill poster [PDF, 398Kb] to print out in A4 size
- A3 Medicare bulk bill poster [PDF, 506Kb] to print out in A3 size
Some documents on this page may require the free Adobe PDF reader.
Last updated: 17 April, 2013