Optometrist PBS prescribing
Optometrists accredited to prescribe under state or territory legislation may apply to Medicare for approval as a PBS prescriber—an authorised optometrist. Authorised optometrists can write PBS/RPBS prescriptions only for the medicine listed in the optometrist section of the Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule (the Schedule).
- Optometrist prescription forms are coloured differently and titled PBS-RPBS optometrist prescription.
- Optometrist PBS prescriber numbers are in the range 4000000-4150000 and must be included on a PBS/RPBS prescription.
- The same PBS/RPBS prescribing principles apply for optometrist prescriptions as for other PBS/RPBS prescriptions.
- Only one item may be prescribed on an optometrist PBS/RPBS prescription.
- The same prescription form is used to prescribe unrestricted, restricted or authority items.
- Authority prescriptions must include a Medicare or Department of Veterans’ Affairs approval number.
- Optometrist prescriptions may include repeats, where repeats are allowed in the Schedule listing.
- Patient eligibility and entitlements, patient contributions (co-payments), and PBS Safety Net benefits are the same for optometrist items as for other PBS/RPBS items.
- Optometrists may also write private prescriptions in accordance with their state or territory prescribing accreditation.
- Under RPBS arrangements, optometrists are limited to prescribing only the items listed in the PBS optometrist section.
- Optometrists are responsible for adhering to their state and territory law for every prescription (PBS/RPBS and private), and to all PBS/RPBS requirements for those prescriptions.
Dispensing optometrist PBS items
- When you enter an optometrist PBS prescriber number, your software should limit PBS/RPBS dispensing to only optometrist PBS listed items.
- Urgent supply rules apply for optometrist prescribing—optometrists may contact you by phone, fax or other means for urgent supply, and provide the paper prescription within seven days.
- If the prescription includes repeats, use the standard repeat authorisation form.
- PBS items listed for optometrist prescribing are priced using the same principles as other PBS items.
- Regulation 24 does not apply for optometrist PBS/RPBS prescriptions.
Optometrist items in the Schedule
- Optometrist PBS items are listed in a separate section of the Schedule, with unique item codes for this prescriber type.
- For example, if the same product is listed for optometrist and doctor prescribing, it will be listed in both sections of the Schedule under different item codes.
- Optometrist authority required items may be streamlined in the future. There are no streamlined items in the 1 January 2008 list.
Last updated: 27 September, 2013