Complex Authority Required Highly Specialised Drugs (CAR HSD)
All Commonwealth funded supply of CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab (Herceptin®) requires an authority approval from Department of Human Services (Human Services) before dispensing. Failure to gain prior approval will result in non-payment for that medication. No retrospective approval will be permitted.
More information on authority approvals for these medicines is available on our website or by calling 1800 700 270*
When applying to Human Services for authority approval, public hospital medical practitioners must use a Human Services authority prescription form or a form approved by Human Services. If a signatory to the pharmaceutical reforms, then a public participating prescription can be used in place of these forms.
The process for submitting the appropriate CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab application form and supporting information together with a Human Services authority prescription is:
- The medical practitioner indicates on the Human Services authority prescription form whether the approved prescription is to be returned to the medical practitioner or the patient.
- The medical practitioner sends the completed and signed PBS authority application supporting information, Human Services authority prescription and patient declaration forms to Human Services by mail.
- When approved, Human Services stamps the form with a HSD approval stamp and returns the prescription to the medical practitioner or patient by mail (as indicated on the form).
- If the program has allowances for applications to be made by phone, the medical practitioner must enter the relevant approval number, as provided by the Human Services Service Officer, on the Human Services authority prescription.
- The format for phone approval numbers starts with the letter "Z" and is followed by four digits and two alphas. The approval number may be preceded by the letters "HSD". For example Z1234AB or HSDZ1234AB.
The Human Services authority prescription with approval number or approval stamp, for a CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab, can be dispensed by a public hospital pharmacy, participating public hospital or a community pharmacy.
- Repeats on CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab can be dispensed up to the maximum number which has been approved by Human Services and shown on the Human Services authority approval.
- Repeats are to be identified on hospital pharmacy records by the Human Services authority prescription number.
- Patient contribution will be the same as for other HSD.
State and territory health department claims to Human Services must include the following information on the claim form:
- item code
- hospital provider number
- Human Services prescription authority number
- original supply or repeat number
- supply date and
- packs dispensed.
The Human Services prescription authority number is found printed on the authority prescription or hospital prescription and is in a numeric format only.
All CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab require prior approval from Human Services before dispensing. CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab that are not approved or have not been approved before dispensing cannot be claimed.
For more information about the Schedule of Pharmaceutical Benefits go to www.pbs.gov.au
Download the application forms for CAR HSD and PBS trastuzumab:
Last updated: 7 February, 2013