On this page
In the 2004 election the Australian Government announced a number of new Medicare initiatives to protect and strengthen Medicare into the future.
Following is the letter from the Minister for Health and Ageing to General Practitioners (GPs) regarding the election commitments commencing on 1 January 2005.
Further information about the key initiatives:
- 100% Rebate - November 2005 [PDF, 111Kb]
- Practice Nurse Pap smear items 10998 & 10999 - November 2005 [PDF, 89Kb]
- Round the Clock Medicare After-Hours items - November 2005 [PDF, 158Kb]
- Higher bulk billing incentive for After-Hours attendances in eligible areas - item 10992 - November 2005 [PDF, 137Kb]
- Bulk billing incentives for GPs
- Medicare Allied Health and Dental Care initiative
- Practice nurse/allied health worker incentive
- PIP payment for rural and remote procedural GPs
- MedicarePlus for Other Medical Practitioners program
- After Hours for Other Medical Practitioners program
- Rural Other Medical Practitioners Program
- Outer Metropolitan Other Medical Practitioners Program
- Temporary Resident Other Medical Practitioners Program
Information on claiming the additional $5.15 & $7.85 bulk billing incentive payment in respect of Commonwealth concession cardholders and children under the age of 16.
- Incentive payments to GPs who bulk bill concessional patients and children aged under 16 years [PDF, 156Kb]
Information on claiming the practice nurse items.
- Practice nurse items for immunisation and wound management - items 10993 & 10996 [PDF, 99Kb]
- Practice nurse items for pap smear - items 10998 & 10999 [PDF, 89Kb]
A new Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) item - item no. 712 - is available from 1 July 2004. This item enables GPs to undertake Comprehensive Medical Assessments (CMAs) of new and existing residents (if required) of aged care homes.
- Comprehensive medical assessments (CMA) for aged care residents – Fact Sheet for general practitioners [PDF, 79Kb]
- Aged Care General Practitioner (GP) Panels Initiative Fact Sheet for GPs – June 2004 [PDF, 75Kb]
For information regarding the Training for Rural and Remote Procedural GP’s Program, please visit the Department of Health and Ageing website.
The once only grant payment for practices that installed online functionality into their practice management systems and transmitted a claim online closed at 30 June 2008.
If you require information about financial assistance in switching on electronic claiming or the transitional support package please call the Medicare Australia eBusiness Service Centre on 1800 700 199.
Some documents on this page may require the free Adobe PDF reader.
Last updated: 3 February, 2012