Doing business online
Medicare Australia is offering an increasing range of online solutions for your use. If your practice management software supports these solutions you can:
- lodge Medicare and Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) claims online to Medicare and private health funds
- lodge a variety of claims including bulk bill, private patient and in-patient medical claims (ECLIPSE)
- notify the Australian Childhood Immunisation Register of immunisation information
- perform online patient verification and entitlement checking. Health care providers can confirm patient details before consultation and determine out-of-pocket costs for hospital procedures (ECLIPSE).
More than 5000 sites are using online claiming to save on paperwork and administration and to receive faster payments from Medicare Australia, DVA and health funds. Each month around a million patient verifications are performed online to check the validity of patients’ Medicare numbers. Practices can also verify the status of their claims at any time, and claims lodged online are processed in a fraction of the time required by other methods.
To find out more, call the Medicare Australia eBusiness Service Centre on 1800 700 199.
Make a request for more information, or to have a business development officer contact your practice.
Thousands of practices all over the country are now using Medicare Australia's online claiming services and are finding these services provide a number of efficiencies and cost-savings for their practices.
Medicare Australia has been in contact with a selection of practices around Australia to find out how using online claiming has benefited their practices. Doctors and practice managers spoke of many advantages to upgrading their systems.
Manual record keeping is more streamlined with the newest online claiming system from Medicare Australia. When users were surveyed in 2004, 82 per cent said errors were more quickly resolved and there was less paperwork.
One practice in Western Australia that has made the transition has found it has saved the practice time and money.
'I've just found it a lot easier to do and it's saved me a lot of paperwork and a lot of extra typing', said Wendy Taylor, practice manager for busy Fremantle paediatrician Dr Aida Partridge (June 2005).
"I just think this is a lot more efficient, it's a lot quicker from our point of view. Time wise I would say it probably cuts between five and 10 hours a week", said Ms Taylor.
Ms Julie Breasley, practice manager at the Illawarra Sleep Disorders Service, said the practice had found debt collection and cash flow had improved since upgrading from Medclaims.
'I like it because not only do we get paid by Medicare Australia much faster, usually in about two days, but we can chase our debts with private patients quicker', said Ms Breasley (June 2005).
When users were surveyed in 2004, 95 per cent said Medicare Australia payments were faster and 84 per cent said their efficiency had improved.
IT manager for I-Med/MIA in Victoria, Julian Gully, said they began their task of installing Medicare Australia's online claiming in their clinics because I-Med/MIA saw the previous claim system, Medclaims, as an old and outdated program.
'We had five staff dedicated to processing Medclaims', he said, 'and now those staff are available for debt collection and other areas' (June 2005).
Setting up the new online systems was easy, Dr Nyrie Dodd from the Alice Street General Practice in Sydney said.
'We didn't have to upgrade anything because we already had high speed internet and we already had billing software that had a module for Medicare Australia's online claiming'.
'Overall, we're much happier', said Dr Dodd (June 2005).
- Faster Medical claims for regional patients with online claiming - West Street Medical Centre and Skin Cancer Clinic, Great Lakes [PDF, 28Kb]
- Online claiming cuts workload in Tumut and Batlow - Batlow and Tumut [PDF, 30Kb]
- Medicare Australia's online claiming a breakthrough in streamlined administration – Dr Malcolm Catt [PDF, 6.9Mb]
- Fast, easy processing with Medicare Australia's online claiming says Queensland medical centre - Arch Medical Centre, Maleny [PDF, 34Kb]
- Patients embrace new technology in rural Queensland – Maleny Medical Centre, Maleny [PDF, 33Kb]
- New online system offers convenience for patients - Maroochydore 7 Day Medical Centre [PDF, 33Kb]
- Small community, big benefits flow from online Medicare claiming Samford Valley Medical Centre [PDF, 33Kb]
- Fast, online claims a bonus for overseas travellers - The Travel Doctor, Gold Coast [PDF, 6.4Mb]
- Medicare Australia's online claiming helpdesk a lifeline for busy practices - Toowoomba Medical Centre [PDF, 28Kb]
- Everyone's a winner with online claiming – gastroenterologist Dr Jonathon Martin, Goodwood [PDF, 6.8Mb]
- Rural practices lead the way with online claiming – Hahndorf, Mount Barker , Woodside and Nairne [PDF, 33Kb]
- Mannum sets the benchmark in industry best practice - Mannum Medical Associates [PDF, 1.5Mb]
- More choice for patients with online claiming – Shearwater Medical Centre, Devonport Mannum sets the benchmark in industry best practice - Mannum Medical Associates [PDF, 30Kb]
- GPs say goodbye to days of debt – Mountain Retreat Medical Practice, South Hobart [PDF, 8.7Mb]
- Instant access to Medicare details and faster payment key benefits of Medicare Australia 's online claiming – Derwent Valley Medical Centre [PDF, 30Kb]
- Online claiming simplifies multi-site billing for busy orthopaedic surgeon – Dr Ian Critchley, Shepparton [PDF, 5.8Mb]
- See your doctor and Medicare at the same time – Flemington Medical Centre [PDF, 27Kb]
- Online claiming an administrative Godsend – Warrnambool Medical Centre [PDF, 30Kb]
- Paperless practices, with more time for patient care, are the way of the future – Stud Road Medical Centre, Dandenong [PDF, 3.0Mb]
- Online claiming saves new business – Angelo Street Optical [PDF, 89Kb]
- City GPs switch to internet-based services – Dr S Punyanitya, South Perth [PDF, 27Kb]
- Online claiming is quicker, better and error free – Tower Medical Centre, Kalgoorlie [PDF, 30Kb]
- Doing business online - a local GP practice's experience – North Beach Medical Centre, Perth [PDF, 115Kb]
- Doing business online at GP on Beaufort [PDF, 161Kb]
Some documents on this page may require the free Adobe PDF reader.
Last updated: 7 September, 2010